Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Blue Case; Green Case

Our quick review of Lesson 3 turned into an hour-long explanation of both the terms used in the class and the organisational structure of the lessons. I’d realised that there was a fair bit of detail about the course that I hadn’t actually explained to the class. Some of these I might’ve touched on briefly in the Lesson notes and/or the Intro for Students, but others I’d more or less assumed the students would just know. There were also a few details which I’d only recently instituted.

One of these newly instituted details was the use of colour-coding: from now on I'm going to use a different colour of marker for each of the case endings when writing on the white board: blue = nominative; green = accusative; red = dative; purple = genitive. The idea is to make my conceptual style of teaching a little more accessible to our resident kinaesthetic lerner. I was greatly encouraged by the hearty reception the idea got from her...whew!

We also had a fun round of spot-the-typo in my review homework assignment.

hmmmm....Y'know, I sometimes get the feeling I'm learning more from this class than the students...

Okay, that's it for now.

Oh, Trish pointed out that there was something wrong with my "Email Me" link. Just had a look and, yes, another typo! All fixed now, Trish--your emails won't be getting returned anymore. I've also posted Why Learn Greek 5 (see link above).

Right, see you all (minus 1) for Lesson 4 this Sunday. Have a look at it and keep at those vocabulary lists.


God Bless,
Ιακωβος

7 comments:

  1. Just read lesson 4 and it almost makes sense even to me, who is definitely Not learning Greek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy - STOP learning Greek!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...now that you put it like that (in the present active imperative mood)...I don't know that I want to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heyyyy! We haven't done verbs yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes Sandy - we haven't done verbs yet! Luckily - because I thought it might have been the pluperfect passive mood!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You'll be pleased Trish because today I am in a 'bluish inactive mood' so I think I will go back to NOT learning Greek!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Μη γενοιτο!

    What an awful thing to say, Sandy…

    ReplyDelete